BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Labels

Art (4) baby (5) blogs (3) cleaning (4) Dear Mom (5) educational (13) entertainment (11) Free Stuff (3) fun (8) Grrumbles (4) humor (14) issues (10) lunch (3) Medical (9) My Family (13) pregnancy (1) Preschoolers (5) Products (3) reading (1) safety (4) solutions (19) Teens (1) Toddlers (5) Tweens (3)

Friday, May 30, 2008

Call for Help

This post is brought to you by Soccer Mom. I copied her post and placed it here to send out the call for help to as many people as we are able to reach. With the state of our economy here in the US and in other parts of the world, food is becoming more expensive every day. Families that were once able to make it, are now barely surviving or requiring assistance. If you can do even one small thing to help those in need, please do.

Here in the USA, our postal service will accept food for the local food banks. You can place even just one can or box of non-perishable food in your mailbox with the flag up and your postal worker will take that can to donate to the local food bank.

If you have time to donate to your local food bank, they will probably appreciate that, too. Most workers are volunteer workers. If you wish to volunteer, contact your local food bank to see what you can do.


Why are we so wiling to send millions of dollars to help those in need in other States, Provinces, Countries Yet we turn the other cheek when it comes to helping those in our own communities?

Normally I leave you to ponder with little detail as to why, but I felt the need this time to share why...Sadly the food bank here in Stoney Creek has put out a desperate call for food and money. Because of this urgent need they have had to scale back on the amount of food those in need can get and how often they can receive aid. I know I am only one person but one person can start to make a difference. With that in mind I went to the store and purchased 100.00 worth of items and took them in person to the food bank and I have placed a call to The girl's school and our church. I am asking the principle if we can do a food drive with a contest twist.

The twist is I appealed to Block Buster to give us the movie, so the class that brings in the greatest number of items gets a popcorn and movie afternoon. I am sure the kids would love this so close to the end of the school year.

I would ask you all please if you can help any way you can. I know I have a number of readers outside of Canada so if you want to help you can do one or both of the two following things; Send money ~ It doesn't have to be a great amount, every little bit helps (you can contact me via my email)

AND/OR

Please put a little something, something on your blog about this post/need and help me get the word out there.

And if you want to keep your help at home you need to promise me, that you will donate to your local food bank!

Please don't think someone else has helped so my help is not needed or appreciated, every little bit helps and is more appreciated then anyone can express.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Mom
This means so much to me.
I absolutely love the idea of the post helping that is just a wonderful idea!

I am sure those in need thank you and everyone that is so willing to help also.

Bless you.
SoccerMom huggss

Mom said...

Our post office does food drives once every 3 to 4 months. It's really nice and makes it so easy to contribute.

Petula said...

Yes, I really think this is good to put out a call for help. I've also noticed that food banks (some -- and one I know of in particular) are giving away expired food or those that the "sell by" date has passed. They really need help as do the citizens in our communities.

It is a great idea to get the schools involved; they should be willing to do it without the reward. This is under the same vein as Oprah's Big Give. We have to give big in order to help and make a difference.