BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Labels

Art (4) baby (5) blogs (3) cleaning (4) Dear Mom (5) educational (13) entertainment (11) Free Stuff (3) fun (8) Grrumbles (4) humor (14) issues (10) lunch (3) Medical (9) My Family (13) pregnancy (1) Preschoolers (5) Products (3) reading (1) safety (4) solutions (19) Teens (1) Toddlers (5) Tweens (3)

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Places of Interest

I've been doing a bit of research to plan for my lengthy cross country trip, so I've been in tourist mode lately. I've been checking out what each city has to offer along our planned route. My work is your gain. I've decided to write about local tourist attractions for kids.

I'm going to start with Atlanta, since that's in my own back yard. Here are a few of the best places to visit if you happen to be in the Atlanta area.

I'll start with the Georgia Aquarium. The aquarium in down town Atlanta is well worth your time. It will take more than one day to fully enjoy the exhibits of the Aquarium, but if you're only able to go once, I recommend the Cold Water Quest exhibit and the Ocean Voyager exhibit. The Tropical Diver exhibit is good, too, but if you are limited in your time then the first two are the most important.

Fernbank Museum of Natural History
is another wonderful place to visit here in the Atlanta area. They have several permanent exhibits, such as A Walk Through Time in Georgia and the Children's Discovery Room. They also have special exhibits that change frequently and focus on a large variety of topics. This place will take a few hours of your time, but it's fun and educational for the entire family.

Stone Mountain Park is one of the better outdoor locations for family fun. There are hiking trails that you can use to walk up to the top of the mountain and explore the face of the rock. When you get to the top, you can walk all over the rock and look out over the city. It's a beautiful view. For those who aren't really into hiking up a huge rock, there's a lift that you can ride to the top. Stone Mountain also has a laser show that begins at dark. The show is cast on the face of the mountain using laser technology. I couldn't even begin to accurately describe the laser show. It's something you just have to see to fully understand. It's an amazing experience. Though I do have to recommend that you avoid the park on July 4th. It's just too insane there on that particular day.

Next week I will hit Nashville, TN. That will be my first stop along my journey across the country.

9 comments:

A. nony mouse said...

Also in Atlanta don't forget Centennial Olympic Park, The Martin Luther King memorial, the CNN center, the Cyclorama and numerous other civil war history spots.

Feel free to stay far away from Underground Atlanta, however.

CanadianMom said...

Hey Mom

A great thing we have also discovered when traveling is to go the the tourist bureau and they tell you about all the amazing places to go and things to do. I hope you all have an ton of fun

Unknown said...

Sounds like you like to visit the same kind of places we do when we go on vacation :D

Mom said...

Actually, April, these are local attractions that we visit pretty often.

The vacation planning posts will begin next Tuesday and will cover the places in those areas that I might like to visit.

Mom said...

Soccer Mom

I'm really looking forward to this particular trip. I know it is a long way away, but the planning will keep me occupied pretty thoroughly.

Incidentally, I was going to mention to you that we will be in the Niagara area at some point during this epic trip. If I remember correctly, you aren't too terribly far away from the border. I was wondering if you might be interested in meeting me and the kids. Yeah - long time away, but still...the thought was in my mind.

Mom said...

Mouse

The Cyclorama is certainly worth seeing. I never really thought of that as a tourist attraction, but it surely qualifies.

Centennial Park holds little attraction for me. It's nothing special, really, though the kids would enjoy playing in the sprinkler systems.

As for the others, history buffs - such as yourself - would enjoy them. I would not. I'll gladly fore go them.

The Mother said...

My son lives in Atlanta. As far as I know, he's been too busy studying to see any of those in his three years of residence.

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a great trip. I can't wait to read more.

The Mind of a Mom said...

Oh my gosh I am so there! You tell me when and we will make plans! Even if you don't cross into Canada I can come State Side I would love to spend some time with you and the kids~!