BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Labels

Art (4) baby (5) blogs (3) cleaning (4) Dear Mom (5) educational (13) entertainment (11) Free Stuff (3) fun (8) Grrumbles (4) humor (14) issues (10) lunch (3) Medical (9) My Family (13) pregnancy (1) Preschoolers (5) Products (3) reading (1) safety (4) solutions (19) Teens (1) Toddlers (5) Tweens (3)

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What The...

Okay - I don't usually use my site as a forum to deal with issues in the news. However, I came across this article today that really has me reeling. I won't reprint the entire article here, just a few highlights. To read the entire piece, visit the link by clicking on the article's title.

Boston Hack Almost Takes Blame For Forgotten Child


"BOSTON – A family picked up by a taxi at the airport left a sleeping 5-year-old child behind in the back of the minivan — and the cabbie almost took the blame for it."

"Minutes later, Cohen got a call from the cab pool at the airport. State police, who have jurisdiction over Logan, were looking for him."

"The following day, Cohen was ordered to report to the Hackney unit, where police told him his license was being suspended for three days because he didn't do a thorough check of the van."

" "I think the sad piece here is that the police are not recognizing the responsibility of the adults and are now saying this driver also has to be responsible for passengers who forget their children," said Donna Blythe-Shaw, a staff representative for the United Steelworkers Boston Taxi Drivers Association."

----------

Seriously now - who is responsible for that child being left in that taxi?

Where does the real fault lie?

Those parents are very lucky that they left their child with an honest person and not a predator. I understand being tired after a long trip, but this type of incident rakes my nerves to the highest. There was more than one adult responsible for that child. Somebody should have noticed that they were leaving something very important behind BEFORE they got in their house.

11 comments:

Amy said...

That is a bit crazy, I'd think the parents would get charged for neglect. I know, probably an *innocent* mistake - but still... if you left your child in the car and went into a shop - you'd be in BIG trouble .. so freakin' dangerous. And you're right, if the person was a predator - this could have been quite ugly.

What were they thinking? How could they remember their luggage, but not their child?

Ok, maybe I'm too harsh.. but I can't imagine forgetting my son anywhere!

KAT said...

There is just no words for this...I can't believe the driver should be held responsible at all!! If it was a laptop left, he wouldn't have been charged with anything, so just because it was a child, he is responsible??? NO!
It is the stupid parents fault for forgetting their child. No-one else, they are at fault, and should be thankful that their child is alright, and stand up for the cabbie.

Ohhh this just made my blood boil!!!

Will said...

I guess the luggage was more important than their 5 year old child since they did not forget that. Parents should be responsible for it not the cab driver. I understand people make mistakes but your child is your life.

Mom said...

I would like to point out that the parents were very grateful to the cab driver when he returned their child.

The father gave him a $50 tip for the return trip to their house.

vange said...

That's hilarious! Imagine if they left something important behind, like a suitcase!

Mary said...

I was reading this article earlier today and I couldn't stop fuming over it. This sorta stuff makes me soooo angry. I have 2 kids and I can't imagine EVER "forgetting" them.

And for those parents not to be held responsible for their own child is insane. And even crazier is the cab driver getting into trouble over it.

All I can think of is that poor child. I wonder how many other times she is forgotten about.

Crista said...

Ugh. I saw the article right off the bat this morning, it just made me sick! I've been so tired, stressed, etc, I've forgotten important things in a vehicle (milk...fresh produce...meat...) but a kid?! Some people do not deserve to be parents!

Riza said...

If to blame, its the parents...how could they forget their child, its not like the movie home alone where the parents thought that the child was with them, i mean it doesn't add up..

Chubskulit Rose said...

No matter how tired you can be, you should never forget your child.. My goodness, how can you forget your flesh and blood?
'

just followed ur blog btw..

john said...

Its the parents fault, how can you forget your child?

following your blog now..

Brandy said...

Wow...just wow!