BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Labels

Art (4) baby (5) blogs (3) cleaning (4) Dear Mom (5) educational (13) entertainment (11) Free Stuff (3) fun (8) Grrumbles (4) humor (14) issues (10) lunch (3) Medical (9) My Family (13) pregnancy (1) Preschoolers (5) Products (3) reading (1) safety (4) solutions (19) Teens (1) Toddlers (5) Tweens (3)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Life Goes On...

There are times when being a parent can be somewhat of a challenge. Over the past few months I have struggled with personal illness, family life, and having a friend who lost her 4 year old child to a tragic accident. These times when life is a struggle, it is easy to feel as though you are not really doing a good job at being a parent. There are many days that just drift by without much interaction between you and your children - beyond the basic necessities of life - or days where your children take care of you more than you take care of them.

I have been amazed over the past couple of months at just how adept Kira is at "taking care of" her little sister. She has developed into a very strong and caring little girl. She helps around the house by sweeping, cleaning her room, and getting things for Marisa whenever needed.

As a mother it would be relatively easy for me to see this time of inaction as a failure or an inadequacy on my part. After all, there are things that I should have been doing that were never done. Kira has taken on a great deal of responsibility that is not really hers to take. I never forced that on her. Instead she chose to make these things her focus. I do have to remind her frequently that I am the mother and I am the one who has the responsibility of disciplining the little sister. Kira likes to be a bit - ahem - bossy... with Marisa at times.

When I see how caring Kira can be, I realize that my weaknesses are not failures as a parent. Instead they have been an opportunity for Kira to grow into her own strengths and practice being sensitive to the needs of others. I have given her a chance to shine in her independence and enjoy the benefits of accomplishing things on her own. There is a great lesson in being able to solve problems and fix things without the interference of anybody else telling you what to do or how to do it.

Now that I am getting better - finally - I can see just how much Kira has grown into her own place over the past two months. While I might feel a tad bit guilty about my lack of energy, I have to admit that the experience has been good for both of my girls.

0 comments: