BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Labels

Art (4) baby (5) blogs (3) cleaning (4) Dear Mom (5) educational (13) entertainment (11) Free Stuff (3) fun (8) Grrumbles (4) humor (14) issues (10) lunch (3) Medical (9) My Family (13) pregnancy (1) Preschoolers (5) Products (3) reading (1) safety (4) solutions (19) Teens (1) Toddlers (5) Tweens (3)

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Love You!

Today's post is dedicated solely to honoring my husband.

I just want to tell you that I love you.

To my readers, I would like to say that loving the father (or mother) of your children is one of the most important things you can do to ensure they grow up in a healthy environment. Make sure your children know that you love that other parent with all your heart. Your children should see affection and hear terms of endearment. This teaches them how to maintain a relationship.

Now, if you happen to be divorced - as I am from Gibson's father - then loving the other parent may not be a valid option. In instances such as this, being nice to the other parent and avoiding parenting competitions is the best thing you can do to help your children deal with a difficult situation. You should never talk negatively about that other parent in front of your child. It only breeds resentment. This is where being the bigger person comes in to play. If that other parent fails to understand the damage that can be caused by such negative comments, you should avoid responding to these situations. Instead, have a standard phrase at the ready for those times when your children tell you what is being said by the other party. "Is that so?" can be a valuable addition to your verbal skills. It leaves the conversation open for the child to vent without pointing fingers. It is never easy to control your own emotions, but the rewards are far greater than the immediate gratification of "telling it how it really is."

I hope you have a wonderful day today. Go tell your partner just how much you love them. Be sure to let your kids overhear your conversation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

he sounds like a nice guy :-)

Mom said...

He is. I'm very lucky and very blessed. Perhaps he will get a big smile when he reads my post. It might even make his day a little bit brighter.

Petula said...

I hope you had a very happy anniversary and it's really nice to be in love or love your spouse.