BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Labels

Art (4) baby (5) blogs (3) cleaning (4) Dear Mom (5) educational (13) entertainment (11) Free Stuff (3) fun (8) Grrumbles (4) humor (14) issues (10) lunch (3) Medical (9) My Family (13) pregnancy (1) Preschoolers (5) Products (3) reading (1) safety (4) solutions (19) Teens (1) Toddlers (5) Tweens (3)

Thursday, May 14, 2009

I don't get it...

Why is it that people think it's crazy to spend large quantities of time with your children?

If you've been reading, you're aware that I'm planning a pretty lengthy road trip with my kids. They will be 7, 8 and 18 at the time that we set out on our travels. As part of my planning, I'm taking into consideration the needs of them, and me, with regards to travel in a car for a long period of time.

Everybody that I've discussed this trip with - including my dear husband - thinks that I've lost my mind simply because I expect this will be a fun adventure instead of a horrible trial of patience.

Now, don't get me wrong. I understand that a trip of this nature can be very taxing on everybody involved. However, I really expect this will be an amazing adventure for the kids and me. I think the time will allow us to strengthen our relationship in a way that we would otherwise miss out on.

Never be afraid to take on a challenge just because other people think it's impossible. Planning and taking into consideration the needs of the kids will make this trip the amazing adventure that I picture it to be. It doesn't have to be a horrible experience for any of us. It's all about the attitude that you have when you begin and the time you invest in considering the realistic needs of those who will be along for the ride.

I'm also taking into consideration those who went before me. How many families walked clear across the country with their children back in the day before there were luxuries such as cars and air conditioning? Surely if those people were able to survive their cross-country journeys without modern day conveniences, then I can survive (and enjoy) a cross-country journey with my car, my CD player, and my comfy tent!!!

If all else fails, I can just make the kids walk a while... After all, that's what the parents did in the old days.

4 comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

If your kids approve of that long road trip with you, then go for it. It will be an exciting bonding experience for you and your kids. Don't mind the brickbats of others. You are living your own life and you deserve to be happy doing your own thing without other people dissuading you because of their own closed minds. Remember, you are doing it for your kids and for your own fulfillment too. There will come a time when your kids will no longer have time for you and your hubby so why not take advantage of this time to make special bonding experience with them. Thanks for the post. God bless you always.

Mrs4444 said...

I took my then-13-year-old daughter on a trip last summer, and it was wonderful! Now, had I brought her brother (age 17), I suspect that it might not have been so enjoyable (the bickering!!) I'm sure you'll have a great time.

BK said...

I believe most are concerned because most kids, even some adults, cannot be on the road for too longs before they get restless and their minds start wondering far away. I believe it is important to find activities (like computer games, video etc)which they can do while on the trip. And perhaps, while planning, you can plan for more stops along the way. I believe it will be fun too.

Joe-ann said...

When I was a kid,those long road trips with my family are one of my precious happy memories. Go for it,surely your kids would have fond memories of it just like me.Gosh! you made me nostalgic.=)